Friday, March 27, 2015

Biking to Beer: Bigger, Longer, Stronger, Part Two---And So We Find Our Plans Thwarted


Even when it seems that spring is here and we're in the clear, we know here in Minnesota, deep down, that there's always a chance that winter can return, if only briefly. This threat may last until May, even. Prince had a song along those lines, "Sometimes It Snows In April." I't's kind of a bad song, but I still like that one.

Here is the rare example of when I use a photo swiped from someone else. But, hey, I figure, if they risked stealing my soul, by taking my picture without permission, then I can yank it off of Untapp'd for use here.
Add to this the definitive fact that I am terrible about navigating the change of the seasons, and the changing back again. I rarely check the weather reports, basing my comings and goings on a peek out the window. This Sunday, I had the notion of continuing my project of visiting and re-visiting the breweries of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul by bicycle, and once out the door, I felt the chill and the wind and began to amend my plan. I would not go to the most northerly brewery in the city (Insight), not when it's this cold.


So, I decided that my plan would include a first stop at Eastlake Craft Brewery, where I draw a paycheck, and have a few while using the Wi-Fi to publish the first in this series of posts. My third beer there while at work on that was a Stick Style IPA, my second was a Nicollet Mauler Black IPA on nitrogen, and the first was our latest beer, one I haven't posted about here, yet, the American Brown Ale called Mud In Your Eye. I like it quite a bit. Here's the official description.
and here's what it looks like:

I spent a good two hours there, writing, editing, doing internet things, eating, drinking, hearing soccer fans cheering behind me. Thought about what other breweries I'd try to visit.

A word about where I work: I'm digging it. I'm completely behind the beers, utterly thrilled that they're a product I can really endorse. I've been trying to remain neutral here, so I don't display a conflict of interest. I'm trying not to hype the place too much, so as not to seem biased. Plain truth is: I feel that we're putting out some of the best beers in town, and those interested in such things seriously need to get over here and drink them. Take some bottles home, fill a growler. Take a chance, it couldn't hurt. (See how I'm downplaying it, to keep up that appearance of neutrality?)
My old friend Steve Legas chatting up owner Ryan Pitman
while watching futbol on a Sunday afternoon.
Our bear mascot growls in the background.


It was finally time to get going to stop #2, further down Lake Street, about a mile and a half to the west, and a swift right turn on Lyndale Avenue to LynLake Brewery, a taproom I've visited a handful of times since they opened late last fall. Why haven't they appeared here yet, why haven't I taken a growler home for review? Because I thought they were too expensive. It turns out that I was wrong. When I thought that it read $19 for a fill, it really meant including deposit. And they've lowered those prices, and also offered the 750 ml option, the mini-growler. Which I love. (And truthfully, the prices have dropped a few bucks, because a lot of people thought like me, and no one was buying them.)

The bar, at LynLake, bicycle wheels hang above, in between lightbulbs, the brewery's way in back, tap handles in the foreground. 


LynLake occupies a space formerly home to an antique store (I still have some items around the home that I bought there), and before that a theater. The marquee remains (the antique store went as Theater Antiques), and they're using it to promote the brewery, naturally. I made it out to their opening night, though I wasn't on the invite list. Just bluffed my way in, although I did know people inside. Their head brewer, Joel Carlson, used to brew at Town Hall, and plenty of people I know from there were in attendance. My subsequent visits were late at night on Fridays, it turned out, and the place was jammed with Uptown types. And plenty who don't reside in the neighborhood, but like to play there on the weekends. (I believe that in New York City they call them "the bridge and tunnel crowd.")

I snapped a pic of this beer, Raka-Waka, a New Zealand Pale Ale, back in November, I remembering it being fresh, citrus-y, and flat-out delicious.
Some beers were good, some were okay, but there wasn't anything yet that really stood out. They remained due for further examination, but I've been taking my time. I believe I mentioned the hibernation earlier.

The view of the Lynlake Brewery marquee from the side, walking up Lyndale Avenue.

So, I return on a Sunday, when it's quiet and mellow. First beer I chose was a recommendation from the bartender, on sale for only five dollars, the Sideburns Oatmeal Raisin Stout on nitrogen, and it was everything you'd want. Just the right amount of roast and toast, creamy and semi-sweet. I've always been fond of oatmeal stouts and this one fit the bill entirely.

Sideburns Milk Stout (with oatmeal and raisins) on nitro, 6.2% ABV, 30 IBU. 


I moved on to the Take 6 IPA (named for Joel's favorite gospel vocal group? not sure…) dry-hopped with Dr. Rudi (a new hop from New Zealand  I'd never heard of), on cask. It went down just fine, but was not especially remarkable. I'm not especially taken with the cask conditioning presentation (I know, a shock and a sacrilege to some), but I'll try one out from time to time. Perhaps I should test another one on plain ol' CO2 to be sure what I really think of it.

Take 6 IPA on cask, 5.7% ABV, 77 IBU. 

Finally, I ordered a pint of the Tradesman Robust  Porter, which was as straight-up as you're going to get, dark, full-bodied and smooth.
Tradesman Robust Porter, 5.5% ABV, 40 IBU. 
And as I drank it down, I glanced out the window and watched the snow falling on Lyndale Avenue. And a part of my proud heart, formerly emboldened by the onset of spring, had shrunk a little, and fell back, still, but still not cowering. Contemplated my next move, while assessing the beers I'd drunk.
One of two chalkboards at LynLake Brewery.


I have a sneaking suspicion that the staff at LynLake, brewers, bartenders, and all of them, would like see the beers bust out of the comfort zone that they're in currently. Were the beers always so stuck in regular styles? Did they ever make anything off the beaten path? A little research shows that there has been a double IPA, a coconut milk stout, some smoked stuff, among others. Maybe I need to pay a little more attention, break out of my comfort zone, step in there more often. I say it myself quite a bit, that you can't judge a place on a single visit.

And I turned again to the window, and the snow that wouldn't stop, and decided that it was time to go home, and not stretch this adventure out, not in this weather. I biked home via the Greenway with one  hand in my coat pocket and the other on  the handlebars and brakes, alternating them to keep the warmth flowing. It never stopped, not at all, all night long. Sob. Sigh.

Maybe on my next day off, things will improve and I can begin this again. We hope. We can only hope. And dream of spring.

No comments: