Saturday, March 7, 2015

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery West Bank Pub Ale


So, the other day I was at Town Hall in search of something in a growler. Pickings were slim, though, due to some business in the brewery. They only had the regular offerings, minus Masala Mama, and none of the seasonals. If you've read this blog enough and know me at all, you're aware that I'm always on the lookout for beers to add to this online collection. Have I listed West Bank Pub Ale here? No, I haven't. And that was that. Now, I know that I've had it before, most certainly reviewed it and posted it in other places, but I've forgotten to look it up. My decision is to drink the growler, take new notes, and maybe take a peek at the old ones later. What's it going to hurt me?

Appearance: clear, amber coloring, with a full, blooming ivory head of foam. Perfectly plays the part.

Aroma: Gorgeous. Light, airy, floral, and spilling over citrus. Alarmingly pleasant.

Taste: Bright, fresh, light and lovely. Absolutely everything you want in a pale ale. Lean bodied, lightly hoppy, just enough malt, expertly drinkable. Even tempered in all regards. Hoppy enough to keep it interesting, but not too much to make it distracting. Lean and clean malt profile. An excellent session ale, a damn near perfect pub ale. Set it down and throw your dart, pick it up again and take up where you let off in your story.

So, the mystery of why I don't drink this more often is simply explained away: I just like IPAs more.

Here are my original notes extracted from BeerAdvocate. com, posted in July of 2003:


I must offer up a confession before proceeding, a disclaimer of sorts. I'm not very fond of "pub ales" or bitters, for they all too often lack in flavor and body for my tastes. Perhaps that's why I never touched this perennial offering until now, just to get it out of the way. I was pleasantly surprised.
Appearance: amber, edging toward bronze, with a perfunctory head.
Aroma: largely fruity, with additional hints of toasted caramel and nuts.
Light hop bitterness at first, quickly departing, with very tasty malt character clearly in charge from here on out.
Well-rounded, with a moderate sweetness, and a long, malt-infused finish. Each time the glass is lifted, satisfaction is ensured. Nutty malt flavor stays on top.
This visit, the WB Pub was also available on cask, and in that form, I'd have to add an extra star: the head was thick and creamy, the flavor was mellow, but made a powerful presence on the palate, and it went down like a dream. Ah, bliss!

I'm not entirely sure if the recipe ever changed, but I vaguely recall this beer going from a English pale ale model to an American PA, with no change in the name. The change in these notes seem to bear that out, for the malt character described in both is decidedly different.

To clear this up, I go straight to the website for this: "American style pale ale offering a smooth body from American malts while offering the zesty character of the American Simcoe variety. 4.8% ABV."
Well, there you go.

No comments: