Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Xingu Black Beer




Xingu Black  Beer, Brazil. Not much English on this label, not much information. I'm going to remember that this is a schwarzbier (black lager). I haven't had it a long time, and the first time I had it was a long, long time ago. Maybe I wrote notes on it, long, long ago? Let's try in anew, once more.

Appearance: Deep black, with a slim, tan-tinted head, looking nice.

Aroma: cola nuts, a little vanilla, minor roast, low hops, dark malts. This hits on everything schwarzbier, so far.

Taste: Sweetness, then dry. Once more the malt, the darkness and the sweet malt, then ending dry, once more. Full-bodied, smooth, lean and tasty. This tastes exactly as I remember it, from so long ago. Sweet and dry, cool, calm and collected. The very measure of a schwarzbier.







Apparently, I had this beer 12 years ago. Here's what I wrote back then:


Black as a piranha's heart, with a frothy cream-colored head. Aroma is simple, vegetal, tiny hints of cocoa, butter, and-?-corn? Palate: extraordinarily smooth. but with a very brief finish. Sure and powerful malt, and very little in the way of hops. Tasty, though, if simple. Very sweet, with some coffee and toffee flavors peeking into the flavor profile, but just a little. Quite smooth, and easy to drink.
This was once available in my area, and I visited it often in the dawn of my beer exploration. I thought it exotic then, with the label and locale, but forgot that it is rather rudimentary.

No comments: