Monday, March 23, 2015

Dave's BrewFarm Saison du Nord


I have done something completely unprecedented in my life. I have waited one week before opening a growler from Dave's BrewFarm. I had too many beers as it was, and I never got around to them. Now, it's time to roll back the sleeves, crack the knuckles and pop the top. Saison du Nord, away!

This one is later than I thought it was: bottled on 2/22/15. Purchased 3/15/15. Now, I want to drink it.

Appearance: lightly hazy, bright crimson coloring, large and lovely, lace-leaving cloudy-white head. Looks beautiful.

Aroma: soft and fruity. Malt-forward. Slightly spicy, mostly clean.

Taste: Fresh and lively on the tongue, with a bit of a funky twist. A sweetness that veers towards sour, without ever getting there. Citrus notes blaze the palate, with a complex malt character taking over from there. Flat out deliciousness. Ends on a dry note, cleans out the palate entirely, until it's time for another go. Thirst-quenching, satisfying, a fine food brew, in-a-good-mood brew, just right for any occasion.

What's Farmer Dave have to tell us? "Born of the North with a foot in France. Pale, Ashburne Mild and Abbey malts. Magnum, Centennial, and Palisade hops with a kiss of lemon peel and fermented with a French saison yeast." 6.9% ABV.

No comments: