Monday, December 16, 2019

Surreal Brewing Company Natural Bridges Kolsch

Surreal Brewing Company Natural Bridges Kolsch.
o.5 % ABV. Surreal Brewing, Campbell, CA.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that surrealism is my favorite art movement. After all, the main image at the top of this page was lifted from Rene Magritte, a longtime inspiration to me. (Not that I've ever learned to paint as well as him.) Dali, Miro, Ernst, Tanning, Tanguy, Duchamp, DeChirico, Picasso, Picabia, Rousseau....I love them all.

So, I would hope that a brewing company that names itself after surrealism would be one that I can get behind. Unfortunately, two of the three non-alcohol brews I've tried from them were horrible, and the third roundly disappointing.

At last, the fourth sample: will this one redeem Surreal?

Clear, bright golden, slim white head.

In the nose: Slightly sweet, cereal, whiff of fruit, and ominous portent of more...

In the mouth: Ah! Argh! Metallic, flat, lifeless....it's like my palate dropped off a cliff, never to return. Zero taste and flavor. Nothing at all resembling a kolsch. Ew. Awful. Unpleasant. Spirit destroying.

Drain pouring this and moving on. Heed my warning, one and all.

No comments: