Monday, December 30, 2019

Drekker Lizard People Double IPA

Drekker Lizard People Double IPA. 8.5 % ABV.
Drekker Brewing, Fargo, North Dakota.

I don't know who the artist is, but I have always loved the art on the Drekker can labels. So much so that I forget that when I read that it's a Double IPA, which I prefer, it usually turns out to be an NE, aka Hazy DIPA, which I do not. These days it's a surprise bonus when an IPA is not among the hazy variety. I end up having to applaud the rare breweries brave enough to make them. Because, you know, trends, they've got to be followed.

Anyway, on to the beer:

All hazed up, murky, dirty dull golden, sizable ivory foam caps it off. Hazy IPAs are not pretty, people.

In the nose: zesty, hoppy, citrusy, yeasty. Nice.

In the mouth: Big citrus, certain bitterness, blocked by the yeast. All the things that I want in a DIPA seem to be there, but that "hazy" is getting in the way. Huh. Yet, I still like it. I'm a pushover.

Bright fruit flavor, back up with hop bitterness, smoothed over. Lightish bodied, long hoppy finish. Juicy, tropical. Goes down nice and easy, gives me (most of) the treats I delight in with the style, hazy or no.

Lizard People Double IPA brewed with a super secret blend of some of our favorite juicy hops that was decided in a smoky back room under an oath of secrecy. This one will give you hints of ripe mango, berries, and interstellar lizards in people suits.

No comments: