Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Wild Mind Artisan Ales Mutual Weirdness Doppelbock Honey Ale

Wild Mind Artisan Ales Mutual Weirdness Doppelbock Honey Ale.
11.4 % ABV. 5 IBU.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales, Brewed and bottled in Minneapolis, MN.

Clear, bright golden color, large white head. Looking fine.

In the nose: funky and fresh. Fruity? Some parts honey ale, perhaps, but not at all doppelbock. Curiouser and curiouser.

In the mouth: Tart. Even sour. Almost. Fruity. And...interesting. It's sweet and it's tart, light bodied, long tartness in the finish, excellent drinkability. However, what the heck, and why is it called doppelbock. Doesn't taste like one, or look like one, or even act like one.

Let's peek ahead at the description: Brett-conditioned doppelbock ale aged in used mead barrels and on local honey from Ames Farm.

Anything else on the bottle label? Nope. Just that.

So, Doppelbocks are lagers, not ales. and never Brett-conditioned, nor brewed with honey. I have to wonder why they used these terms, especially since they are not detected in the flavors I'm experiencing. There must be a story here, and I'm dying to hear it.

I remember this one being on sale for being a slow seller, and the bartender telling me it was "a weird one." And being curious about what I thought of it. As the beer itself, nothing wrong with it, but as labeled, what are you thinking? Call it something else, anything else, and you're good. But, doppelbock ale? There's nothing resembling this anywhere in the beer, even if it makes sense, which it doesn't, but as a funky, fruity ale, sure, nothing wrong with it. Was this a mislabeled mistake? Maybe. No one can tell me. I'll finish it and be happy and move on to the next....

I like it, and I'll recommend it to a sour-head, but it's not favorite.

No comments: