Friday, March 7, 2014

Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA


Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA. Bend, OR. Ale Brewed with Spices. 5.6% aBV.

This is one of those I should have gotten around to long ago, it's been around long enough. I'm a big fan of Deschutes, I like everything they do, what took me? Eh… "white IPA"? Really? Not sure on that one….That's why.

Well, I bought a single bottle, just to try it and check it off. Maybe after I've finished it I'll wish I had bought a six-pack?

Hazy, pale yellow appearance, beautiful, big white head, leaving lace.

Aroma: spice and citrus, the very staple of a witbier. Floral hoppiness. Light, airy, and lovely.

Taste: Mmm, delicious. Light-bodied, clean and crisp. Easy drinking, for sure. Smooth, with wheat malt sweetness. What I'm not getting is the promised hops. Is this merely a slightly hopper witbier? Is that all it is? Is it that the craft beer crowd eschews the wit as a "chick beer" or whatever, and will flock to anything called an IPA? Is that it?

I'm gonna read me some label gobbledygook: "What if wheat wasn't the goal itself? But a route to something absolutely new?" That's up on top. On the side: "You pair wheat, hops and Belgian yeast {can you "pair" three things?} and suddenly Bingo, a wheat like nobody else's. With real depth, coriander and sweet orange peel, it's citrus-packed and silky smooth going down."

No comments: