Wednesday, March 12, 2014

MKE Booyah Farmhouse Ale

I keep hoping for something I'll like from Milwaukee Brewing. I keep hoping...


On to the next Milwaukee brew, this one a self-described Farmhouse Ale. Makes sense to pour it into a Belgian glass, right? No ABV listed, and as free of gobbledygook as all the rest of their labels.

But before we start, "Booyah"? I don't know if I've heard a dumber name for a beer in recent times. It used to be a marines saying, right? But now it's adopted by the bros and dbags. Not a good sign.

Clear amber appearance, slim head.

Aroma: soft, slightly (ever-so slightly) spicy, Belgian yeast and malt. They're going in the right direction. It at least feels like they know what they're doing.

Taste: light bodied, with stone fruit (apricot, peach) and some citrus notes, sweet malt,and more of the distinctive saison yeast. Ends with more sweetness lingering on the palate than it should. Lower attenuation in this one? It ought to be crisper, cleaner, drier. Bubblegum is starting to show up, or at least a hint of it.

In all, a misguided, but well-meaning, attempt at a saison ("let's call it Farmhouse Ale so we don't scare anyone way.") Perhaps better than Lift Bridge Farm Girl, but not by much.

I just know that I much be calling for a Booyah at the bar any time soon.

No comments: