Monday, March 24, 2014

Peace Tree Hop Sutra Belgian-style Double IPA


Peace Tree Hop Sutra Double IPA, Peace Tree Brewing Company, Knoxville, Iowa.

Hazed, dark amber, deep apricot hue, under a lush bone white head.

Aroma: prickly pine, resinous, and certainly citric. Grapefruit, lemon, and lime. Bold and brash.

Taste: more big citrus, more powerful bitterness, slight astringency, washing over …juicy…pithy…mmm. This is possessed by what I can only call an ineluctable Belgian yeast quality. It permeates everything, to the benefit of all. Absolute yummitude, that's another way to put it. Hop bitterness meets completely oddball Belgian yeasty weirdness. And everyone's a winner.

If anyone's still missing out on the joys of a Belgian IPA, American-style or Belgian-style, well, my heart goes out to you. This guy digs 'em. Fullish body, longish finish. Great hop presence on the palate,...I am enjoying the heck out of this one. More Hop Sutra, Peace Tree, more, more, more!




It's as if someone found the "love this" button on me, and won't stop pushing it. (This is the doubled-up version of Hop Wrangler, which I thoroughly enjoyed, as well.)
By the way, I often credit Peace Tree's presence in Minnesota to the public's knowledge of the homebrewing done in President Barack Obama's White House. It was my friend Bradley Magerkurth's visit to Knoxville, Iowa, which I presume was to seal the deal for distributing their beer here,  that brought him in contact with the President, and his chance mention of his profession that prompted Obama to fetch some homebrew bottles from the van. Brad shared this with friends via facebook, and eventually auctioned off his White House homebrew gift for charity. I wondered, while I tell people this, if that can be true, but here's one piece of evidence, right here.here. Reading that article, though, .., come on, "campaign prop?" Bullcrap. Brad said "I sell beer", and Barack said, "hey, Michelle and I brew it in the White House, let me give you a bottle"...jeezus, that's not a campaign prop. It would only be public knowledge if Brad hadn't wanted to share this with his friends and colleagues.

No comments: