Sunday, March 9, 2014

Milwaukee Brewing Hop Freak Double IPA (infused with tea)


The other day I met a man from Milwaukee Brewing Company, and his name was Mike. After he told me about his beers, and presented me with seven samples, I paused, as often happens, not sure what his name was anymore. (It takes me a bit before I remember people's names. I have to have to hear it at least three times.)
I thought it was Mike, but as I looked at his shirt with the "MKE" logo, I thought…"nah, that can't be right, that would be too convenient." As is often the case, I was right, after all.

So, I had six beers to try, actually, for I'd bought a 6-pack of Hop Happy IPA last year on an excursion to Wisconsin. Now, they're in our market. And I'm going to start this survey of MKE, or MBC, with one of their bigger beers, the Hop Freak double IPA.

Brewed and bottled (or canned) by Milwaukee Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 8.7% Alc. by Vol. 1 pint can.

A scaly green monster lurks on the label, hops at his feet, pint of ale in hand. "Born big & bitter."The logo of "Rishi tea" sits off to the right of the beast. That's one curious thing about this D.I.P.A. Can't seem to remember another tea-infused DIPA. Let's go ahead and drink it:

Lightly hazy, apricot-hued, smallish white head. Enticing enough.

Aroma: Not getting hardly any hop bitterness, but I can smell the tea, alright. The aromatic delights of a big, bold bitter DIPA are largely missing here. Was this intentional? A DIPA without a flowering, engaging aromatic element is not a thing of joy.

Taste: Fruit, citrus, grapefruit, and then the big, bold hop bitterness, which hangs on the palate for a time. Hop bitterness lays long on the palate, but subsides enough for smooth malt to take over for a time. I'm still, though, puzzled about the idea of infusing tea into a beer of this kind, wondering why, and for what purpose.

Maybe the copy on the can will tell me? Here it is: "Herb-In Legend is our series of adventure brews. A collaboration with Milwaukee's own Rishi TEa, this IPA is infused with organic Jasmine, lending it a sweet, floral aroma. Strong citrus notes come from a generous amount of American hops. Hop Freak was born big and bitter but a sizable malt bill adds balance to the beast."

Well, a beast with a name like this should be more unbridled, I should think (and do, actually).The tea-infusion doesn't seem to add anything, instead it seems to dilute it. It certainly drinkable, and even enjoyable, but you keep missing something as it travels down the throat. You keep wondering if it could have been better. Every brewery should strive to bring it's fans one really great double IPA (okay, not every one, I'm not going to demand that of August Schell, for instance), and this is not that one from MKE. Maybe they've got another up their sleeve?

No comments: