Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Summit Unchained #15: Fest Bier


As you may or may not recall, I had announced my intention at the start of this year to gain more ground, shall we say, in my coverage of the local scene. I have faltered a bit, here and there, and here are a few reasons. In order to review beers that are only available at the brewery/brewpub, I have to do two things: 1. write comprehensive notes and take the photo on-site, which I do not like to do, and 2. bring home a growler. Some establishments make that a chore, by limiting the amount they sell per day, no matter how many they have on hand. Also, more of them are raising their prices. Some are as high as $16 for the fill, which amounts to $4 per pint, for a serving size that has to be finished in two days, tops. If I'm watching my money, which I am, paying $16 to add one beer to this list is not worth it. This became especially clear when I began picking up those sampler 12-packs, paying $1- $1.30 for a package that would get me 2-4 new beers, if I'm lucky. Yes, I could also count off the benefits of beers in growlers, the freshness, etc., but when the cost goes up, I have to draw the line.

Also, I stumbled some last week, when I went to the beer store and did something rare. I actually made a purchase that did not result in new beers to add to this blog. You see, it was snowing again, after there was a brief promise of spring's return, a slight thaw, a small visit from the sun. My spirits were laid low, and when I visited the local store to replenish the fridge, the appearance of Summit's newest Unchained offering did not appeal to me. There was nothing else new or untasted that I could see that might suit my mood, either. With snow all around, and my heart darkened, a lager was not what I wanted. I came home with a 6-pack of Indeed's Stir Crazy Winter Ale (my first time purchasing cans of this one, although I've had many pints this winter), and a 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Narwhal. Winter Ales and Imperial Stouts were more in line with my desires

This week, it feels closer. Close enough. So, I grabbed a 6-pack and here are the notes:

Summit Unchained #15, Fest Bier, by brewer Nate Siats.

Clear, rich amber hue. Slim white head atop.

Aroma: herbal, malty nose. Minor hops. Lightly floral. I'm gonna guess they're European in origin.

Taste: crisp, clean, malty. Again, small hop presence, but they're doing their thing, adding just the right amount of bitterness for balance. They're there on the tongue, too, and last through the finish. This feels like a much less sweet version of an Oltoberfest, especially Summit's, which rings in higher on the rich & malty scale.

Top-notch lager, this one. Good one to have around to offer those who aren't into ales.

Here's some stuff from the 6-pack holder: "The first lager in the Unchained Series. Fest Bier was brewed with Czech and German malts and hops, then lagered for 8 full weeks, to provide a crisp, clean full-flavored beer.

Profile: malty and sweet, Czech-German fest lager.
Color: Golden amber
Malts: Czech Pils, Czech Munich, Cara Munich
Hops: Saphir, Sladek
IBU: 30
ABV: 5.5%"

No comments: