Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Belhaven Scottish Ale

As stated before, I'm working behind the bar currently at one of my old favorite haunts, Acadia Cafe at Cedar and Riverside in the West Bank neighborhood here in Minneapolis. As of this moment, there are a mere eight beers on tap that haven't appeared here. (there are 28 lines, with one devoted to a root beer, Lift Bridge currently, one a cider (Four Daughters' Loon Juice) and also a mead (B.Nektar))
I haven't been especially diligent, and some have escaped me since starting. Take for instance Unibroue Noir de Chambly. It was on tap when on my first day, and only ran out last week. I first took notes on a bottle back in 2006. I could have easily had one after a shift one day, snapped a photo and posted those old notes, as I've done again and again. Same thing with Lagunitas Pils, that one slipped past me. There are a few others, also, including a few that I'd need to take new notes for. Well, no more! I'm catching up, starting with Belhaven, which seems to be a constant on the nitro line.


Back in July, 2005, I wrote these notes on the nitro can version of Belhaven Scottish Ale, then commented on my previous feelings on a bottle. Today, I'm having it off a nitro-tap, sharing those 10 year old notes with you:


Some people just adore the cascading effect of the rolling foam in a nitro "draught" pour, tap or can. Doesn't do much for me...I just want to see the damn beer, and get to drinkin' it...buuurp...

this one, when the flashy effect dissolves, is a crimson/amber hue, capped with a thick, creamy head that lasts quite a while...very nice, indeed.

Aroma: coppery, metallic, odd..some hops, a bit of fruity sweetness, malty, but not much too it, beyond the initial impression.

Taste: kind of limp...tastes like fish, no kidding...was is smoked? Very unusual, and not too kind, nothing I enjoy. Smooth on the tongue, but this smoked fish feel never leaves! Weird!
Easy drinking, but to a fault, very minimal character, insipid mouthfeel, lean body...I'm gonna have to keep passing this one by (though I couldn't resist one last chance...)

Halfway, through (it's a 15 ounce can we got here) it's almost passable, but still disappointing.
...
crazy how much I liked the bottle, when I reviewed it over 2 1/2 years ago, but was far from taken by this version!

Nowadays, I realize that, essentially, it is beer, and you can drink it. Nothing wrong with that. 

No comments: