Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Sunday Growler (and crowler) sales? What?!? NO! Can Minnesota survive?

We got a bone at least, and the legislature allowed Minnesota brewery taprooms and brewpubs to sell their products to go on that dangerous day, when before it was forbidden. Because, you know, God and stuff. Minneapolis finally signed off on it (yes, instead of a blanket repeal, they opted to let municipalities ratify it one by one. Progress.), and Sunday growler sales were at last legal on Sunday, June 14. I had to get out and celebrate, but where to go first?
at right: the Berliner Weisse at Day Block, which I enjoyed "raw" at first, and then with rhubarb syrup added.
A sign on Washington Avenue urging travelers to stop for a growler....on a Sunday? What--?

I chose Day Block Brewing, due their sale, with $10 growler fills on that first day. But something happened that changed my plans a bit. I sat down next to my friend Tim, pulled out my empty growler, ready to contemplate my choice, when along came my old pal, Mike, who I long ago hired as a bar-back at the Nile, and trained as a bartender, and is now bar manager at Day Block. Wouldn't I rather want a crowler on this day? Not only were they beginning growler sales, but also the canned 750 mls, the first local brewpub to do so. I'd get my deposit back on the growler, and in the end only cost $3. ($8 for the crowler minus $5). I chose a Batch 95 IPA, which I'll get to in a review very soon.
At this early point on this momentous day, the Lord Almighty had not yet stricken us down.


I paid for my purchase and checked the ceiling. No structural damage yet. The sky hadn't started to fall.

Off next to Town Hall, just up the road on Washington Avenue, and they were celebrating by having Marmelade Sky Pale Ale, usually only on tap at The Tap, one of their two other locations, available in growlers. I brought in a 750 ml size, but it was only in 64 ouncers. So, I've gone from 5 64-oz Town Hall growlers a few months ago to 2 750mls, now to 1 of each. It's fine, though, we can continue to trade up or down, with the deposit rate remaining the same.

a growler, about to be purchased, on a Sunday! A Sunday!

I peered up at the pressed tin ceiling and chandeliers above the Town Hall bar. Still holding up. No apocalypse yet. The firmament yet held. No cracks in the sky, no thunder from heaven, no hordes of demons, no plague of frogs.

Proof, there it is. Still no thunder from above.

A growler and a crowler were in my pack, and I jumped back on my bike toward Harriet. If I'd been there earlier I'd have seen my old friend and colleague Peter, who know works at Harriet, being interviewed by the Minneapolis Star & Tribune about the exciting change. But, Jason Sowards, owner and brewmaster, was there to fill up my West Side IPA. I didn't need that much beer at once, but I just wanted to go out and ring in this new era.
Jason doesn't seem very concerned about divine retribution. I worry about that.


And I looked out into the night sky, the clouds turning darker, and I wondered...was this the start of our doom? Was it the beginning of our dire punishment from our angry Lord for crossing him, for spiting his will? Will there soon be lakes of fire and terrible retribution? Will the vengeful God soon smite us all?
Still no angels coming down from heaven to render unto us an apocalypse  of righteous fury to avenge our horrible sins, of buying beer on Sunday. Maybe they're late, and we'll get it next week? Oh, what have we wrought???

No, it was the day ending, as it always does. Everything was normal. We're not going to die. Dogs will not lie down with cats. Maybe we'll get through this?

No comments: