Friday, October 9, 2015

Bauhaus Schwandtoberfest

Bauhaus Schwandtoberfest. A Bavarian fest-style lager with a name I'd rather they reconsider. No offense to the Schwandts, it just doesn't roll off the tongue.

I tried this a year ago on a visit to the taproom, and like it. A sample can was delivered to Acadia, but I never got to drink it. So, it was on faith and memory of 12 months prior that I ordered up a keg for the taps at Acadia. It sold very well, and I took notes on a pint, before it disappeared

Clear, copper-colored, thinnish, milky white, lace-leaving head.

Grassy, hoppy nose stands on top, just over the herbal malt character, just a little sweet.

In the mouth, sweet malt reigns, with hops keeping taps on it all. Slightly higher hop presence makes the difference with this one. Definitely not a traditional style marzen bier, but not too far away from it, either. Crystal malts in this one? I can't pick them out, but it's an interesting mix.

It has two things going for it: It's a good beer, and you can drink it.

No comments: