Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Destihl Wild Sour Series Lynnbrook Raspberry Berliner-Weisse

Okay, gang, I have to admit a problem that I have. I have a problem admitting that I have problems. But when I do, it's great to clear the air and move forward, making progress, we hope. And though I already admitting to this problem earlier, I'm still working on it, so bear with me. I've been procrastinating on my beer reviewing.

Take this beer for example. The can sat in my DBF (dedicated beer fridge) with it's twin, the Counter Clockweisse, for over 2 months, while I passed it over for other beers, saving it for the right night and the proper frame of mind for reviewing. Not that I didn't want to drink it, I just had to be in the correct mood and ready to sit down and give it a good going-over.

Since I received the Wild Sour cans, I tapped and poured a 1/2 barrel keg of Destihl's Amra Mango IPA at Acadia (but never took notes on it), visited the brewpub in Normal, IL and bought 2 growlers (reviewed), 4 bombers (not yet), not to mention the wedding beer, took in a tour at the Bloomington, IL brewery conducted by the owner/brewmaster, sampled more there, including other cans in the Wild Sour series and special samplings from barrels....and all the while this can sat in the DBF, wondering why, oh, why did I forsake it? (You knew that cans of beer have thoughts and feelings, didn't you?)

Forgive me, I am a beer procrastinator. At least I've admitted it, and now the healing can begin.

So, here we go, notes from last night, on the raspberry Berliner Weisse from Destihl:

Destihl Brewery Wild Sour Series Lynbrook Raspberry Sour Beer.

Clear, pale crimson coloring, the very tint of a raspberry, with slim, then no head.

Tartness and fruit in the nose, keeping sweetness at bay. Nice.

Starts off sour in the mouth, then comes refreshing wheat notes and fruit. Candyish sour notes continue to begin fresh and zesty on the palate, then calm, cool and mellow. Medium/light bodied, long, tart/fruity finish.

Classic Berliner Weisse flavors, refreshingly sour and fruity…well done, Destihl.

Here's the official word from the brewery (sometimes called "gobbledygook" on this blog): Lynnbrook Raspberry Sour Ale

ABV: 3.0%   IBU: 04   Color SRM: Hue of Raspberries  
First Brewed: 05-01-14

Lynnbrook, named after our founder's family farm, is a wild Berliner-Style Weisse with raspberries added, resulting in a very refreshing beer presenting with fuchsia color and an aroma reminiscent of picking tart red raspberries growing next to an old, abandoned barn, with the raspberry-lemony aroma giving way to hints of brie and barnyard funkiness. The flavor is absent of any hops or bitterness and instead has initial impressions of subtle lemon and yogurt supported by tart, fresh raspberries and underlying lactic sourness. The beer's dry finish helps cut through some sweetness from the fruit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had it on tap @ Grumpy's NE. Needs to warm up before the magic happens...

Al McCarty said...

Interesting. I didn't know that kegs were available.Guess I'll have to talk to some people.