Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Summit Unchained Batch No. 20: Sticke Alt

Summit Unchained Series Batch No. 20: Sticke Alt, Dusseldorf Style Ale. 55 IBU, 6.3% ABV. “Best served in an alt tumbler of stange beer glass.” (I don’t think I have either of those in my collection, so the shaker pint will have to do.) Brewer: Mike Lundell.

I remember the last time Summit made an altbier, their fall seasonal before Oktoberfest. I tried to explain it it to people by translating it, telling them it means "old beer." Some customers told me flatly "I don't want any 'old' beer!" Now, I can tell them it's a 'secret' old beer.

Dark copper-y coloring, with ruby tinges, under a creamy, dull tan head.

Mostly malty aromatics, caramel-y, clean, staying just shy of sweet.

In the mouth, more of the same. Caramel, a little cocoa, and perhaps a touch of toffee coming from the malt, hops keeping the balance, but not adding much more. Wait…I take that back, here they come, they’re peeking out, popping up from the malt.

They aren’t that many examples of the altbiers of Dusseldorf  available stateside for me to compare this to any more authentic versions. In the 15 years since Summit last brewed their version, I haven’t had that many. From what I remember, though, this is right on the money.

Correction: Looking back, this blog shows five alts, all of American beers. From BeerAdvocate, there are 24 more altbiers I've had, including a mere three from Germany. Two of these, the Uerige beers are ones that I definitely need to revisit

No comments: