Monday, October 5, 2015

Dogfish Head Grateful Dead American Beauty Imperial Pale Ale

Dogfish Head Grateful Dead American Beauty Imperial Pale Ale. An Imperial Pale Ale brewed with almond honey granola & all-American hops. 9% Alc. by Vol.

Clear, beautiful amber coloring, slim head.

 Earthy hop-forward nose, with pine and citrus coming in behind. Lively and likable.

In the mouth, hops are fully in charge of the frontal attack. Big fruit, big hops, with a massive malt character holding it down. If I were a different person, I’d call it “hot”, but that is not my way. Good and malty, nice and grainy, a great blend.

The nuts and granola are adding some grainy goodness and malty delights. Not that you can really pick them out. Not that it matters. An effort was made, granola for the hippies, sure, why not? It’s the hops in command, here, and it’s bitter and tasty. A little boozy, but there’s nothing wrong with that.
If there’s a flaw that I find, it’s that it’s tastes like so many other imperial pale ales I’ve had before.


I had to hold my nose and not think about my dislike of the Grateful Dead while having this one. They’re not so bad, it’s just their popularity and their fans that I can’t stand. Oh, and also their music. Otherwise, they’re probably good people.

No comments: