Monday, October 12, 2015

Capital Supper Club

This weekend, along with my sister, her boyfriend, and my nephew, I crossed through the state of Wisconsin, America's dairy heartland, twice. Cheese, Packers fans and beer. What else do you need? (Consider this a rhetorical question.)

So, my first beer on returning home is a lager from Capital Brewing that I've never tried, a gift from the sample man. (You may have gathered that the sample man is not an individual, but a spirit, an essence, the collective soul of beer salesmen.) This sample man has a lot of interesting brands, but he brought me on that day two Capital beers, one I've had before, and this one, the Supper Club lager. Because Wisconsin has what they call "supper clubs." It's a Wisconsin thing. I don't even pretend to understand.

Capital Supper Club. "A Wisconsin State of Mind." "Not bad. That's the end of the gobbledygook. 5% ABV.

Clear, bright golden coloring, soon-gone ivory head.

Soft, light aromatics. Not a lot here.

In the mouth, and on the tongue, it's light, it's clean, slightly grainy, delicate malt. Light body. Perfectly consumable. Good balance, steers just short of sweet.

The lager sets out to do something and does it right. Classic American pale lager. I would drink it again if I had to, but thank goodness I don't have to.

No comments: