Friday, April 7, 2017

Oliphant Somos Extremos Coffee Golden Ale

And now we have the first Oliphant beer that I've tried for the first time from a crowler bought at a local liquor store. I've seen them in the coolers, but they were always beers I've already tried. I remember seeing this listed as an upcoming beer when last I visited the taproom. This won't stop me from visiting them in Somerset, of course.

Oliphant Somos Extremos (name taken from an episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" unless I'm wrong) Coffee Golden Ale. 6.5% ABV.

Clear, light amber color (not quite golden), with a big white head that trim down in a moment.

In the nose: Earthy coffee notes greet the nose right off the bat, with little else revealed behind it. Not that I'm complaining.

In the mouth: Great big coffee flavors jump on the palate and swim around on the tongue, splashing all around the mouth. Light bodied ale beneath, with little other flavors coming forward. Again, not a flaw for this imbiber. Medium-bodied, lush malt matches well with coffee infusion. Hops take a bow once in a while, but stay rather timid. Just fine by me.

I'm still not entirely sold on the golden coffee ale/lager. They can be good, even very good. But, do I like them better than the darker stuff? Maybe not, but there's nothing wrong with that. They can still be good and enjoyable, even if not as favored as the other kind. Not everything has to be a favorite.

In other words, it's a good coffee golden beer and you can drink it.


No comments: