Saturday, September 16, 2017

Troegs Scratch Series 83 Impending Descent Imperial Stout

It's been a long time since I've had a Troegs beer. I haven't been to Pennsylvania since....ever, and I haven't traded with an East Coaster in nearly as long. The only time their name has come up here in the  Nib was with a collaboration with Stone Brewing, that I wrote of five years ago. Over on BeerAdvocate, it looks like I've had eight of their brews, in my early years of trading. And now, I've got another one in my possession, a gift from a friend on my birthday. After 2 1/2 months in the fridge, tonight's the night to drink it down.

Troegs Scratch Beer Series 83: Impending Descent. Imperial Stout. 10.9% ABV. 98 IBU. I believe this was released in 2014.

Full-on ebony hue, rich cocoa/tan head that drift down assuredly, still, looking fine.

In the nose: full and fierce. Char, roast, cocoa, molasses, anise raisins, maple syrup, more? Intense. Incredible. Amazing.

In the mouth: Fullness to the extreme, with all the richness you can imagine. Big, huge, bold, rich. Thick. Almost viscous. Thoroughly everything. And pretty damn strong. This one goes all the way. A perfect nightcap brew. And off to bed I go.


Malt: Chocolate, Crystal 80, Munich, Pilsner, Roast, Special B
Hops: Bravo, Columbus, Galena, Nugget
Yeast: House Ale
As we spiral further toward the end of the Mayan calendar, we at Tröegs felt obligated to brew a special beer to commemorate the expiration of planet Earth. We think it’s a pile of gibberish (just don’t quote us on that, though… you never know)! Either way, celebrate the countdown to extinction and raise a goblet of this colossal Russian Imperial Stout as we plummet into utter oblivion. If your tongue doesn’t disintegrate as a result of the birthday party cheesecake jellybean BOOM, at the very least this beer will wreak major havoc on your taste buds. Yes, ¿Impending Descent? is as enormous, face-melting, and palate-numbing as it sounds. If there ever was a last beer to enjoy before Doomsday, this is it. Here at Tröegs we say, “Bring on the apocalypse!”

No comments: