Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Pulpit Rock Saftig IPA

Sunday, the 3rd day of September in 2017 was the occasion of my first visit to Iowa in recorded memory. Meaning, of course, that I could not tell you the last time I crossed that southern border of Minnesota for any reason. It's been a long, long time, and whatever reason there was, it was probably to get through to what was on the other side.

This time the reason was to drink the beer of Decorah, a long overdue endeavor. Toppling Goliath is the most renowned of the two breweries of this college town, with their many IPAs and double IPAs, imperial stouts and morning' delights getting them fame far and wide. The first time I heard of this brewery was when I found that my friend Bob Slack started brewing there, many years ago. Well, guess what? A few years back, he jumped ship and crossed the street and is now one of the head brewers at Pulpit Rock, and like the fool I am, I forgot to tell him I was coming to town. I do that too much. Have to stop that.

When Jason and I pulled into the sleepy town that is home to Luther College, and we passed by the little brewery on the hill, we saw the parking lot at TGBC full and took our chances down the road. It would have been uncouth to park at PR and walk to to TG, so the plan was hatched that we'd drink at PR, then walk to to TG, then head back for more. Unless, of course, we didn't like what we had at the first stop. That wasn't likely to happen.

I'll give you an overview of the place in a little bit, in another post. For now, I'll tell you about the first beer I had at the brewpub, which I took notes on from a growler I brought home.

Pulpit Rock's take on the hazy, east coast IPA style showcases both Mosaic & Simcoe hops.







Pulpit Rock Zaftig IPA, Pulpit Rock Brewing, Deborah, Iowa, 6.4% ABV. 45 IBU.

Thoroughly hazed, as if the day's fashion, with a dull orange timbre, and flush ivory head above. Looking nice.

In the nose: Ah! Just about perfect citrusy aromatics, fresh, vibrant, floral, lovely. Digging the grapefruit, lemon and orange/tangerine.

In the mouth: Yow! It comes on in full force here, blazing with bitterness and awash in citrus-y flavors. Clean, lean, medium malt. Excellent drinking, if you're in it for the hops. Perfect for the hophead, perfect for me. Man, I enjoyed the heck out of this one. I would return to this over and over again, and it helps to set my full faith in the fine beers at Pulpit Rock.

No comments: