Thursday, September 28, 2017

Fair State / Modern Times Spirit Foul India Pale Ale

Fair State / Modern Times Spirit Foul. Brewed by Fair State Co-op, Mpls., MN. Modern Times Beer, San Diego, CA. India Pale Ale. Silly, Hazy, Fun. 6.3% ABV.

Before I pour this, I must admit it would be better in a pint glass, but my Fair State-branded glass  seems to have gone missing. So, a tulip with the Fair State logo is the next best thing. Also, I washed, rinsed and rewashed the glass so I don't get embarrassed as happened with the photo of another hotly discussed beer recently. And now, here we go, one of the hottest "hazy IPAs" of the past few weeks, which I enjoyed at the taproom, and am taking notes from a can, thanks to a generous and lucky friend.

Impenetrable haze, pale yellow hue, small, but lasting chalk white head above.

In the nose: ablaze with citrus notes, screaming with orange and pine. Grapefruit and lemon lingers below. Absolutely lovely. Bitterness is here, but keeps it cool.

In the mouth: Nothing but juicy and fruity, hovering over a bitter buzz. Yeast flavor charges in and takes command. Flavor remains bright and delightful throughout. Medium bodied, long bitter finish, tasty, inviting, satisfying. Hits all the right notes, and hits me right where I live.

So, it's a North-East (or New England)-style IPA brewed by West Coast and Mid-West breweries. And it's pretty darned good. Because it is now gone, I couldn't find any official information on the FS website, but dug this up on Untappd: A silly, hazy & fun IPA brewed in collaboration with Modern Times Beer. Super juicy, tropical, and dank. Brewed with Pilsner malt (barley), pale wheat, flaked oats, flaked barley, and hopped with x331 Experimental, Mosaic, & Citra. 

You had me at Mosaic & Citra. How can you lose with that classic combo?

I still don't get the hype over "hazy", can't comprehend why people are losing their crap over beers that look like this. Is it just because it's different? Is it to be contrarian? We got folks swearing by the hazy, and nothing else will do. Unhazy IPAs? Who needs 'em, they say. You put out a perfectly fine, clear India Pale Ale, and some will shake their heads and wonder about you. Last week, I switched things up at the taproom and got an IPA in between Spirit Fouls. A friend was at the bar and looked at my pint and said, "that doesn't look hazy!" Oh, but he was kidding, I know.

No comments: