Monday, March 12, 2018

56 Brewing Citrus Chaos IPA

56 Brewing Citrus Chaos IPA. 5.7% ABV. 25 IBU. 56 Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. Date filled 3/3. Date consumed 3/11. Date received 3/8.

Highly hazed, utterly thick and orange-juicer, slim white head above.

In the nose: soft, slightly bitter, fruity. Tropical notes start it off, with grapefruit coming in quickly. Orange and lemon smother the pineapple and guava.

In the mouth: Juicy, fruity, soft and smooth. Some bitterness pops up, but not enough for me. Or, maybe it is enough, but I keep wanting more. Lots of yeasty goodness on the palate. Medium bodied. Easy drinking. Smooth as it gets.

Not a bad rendition of this style that I'm still on the fence about.  Still like those old-fashioned IPAs. 25 IBUs does not an IPA make. They should call these something else, is all I'm saying. When folks want to tell me "this IPA has less bitterness", I want to answer: "then it ain't no IPA!"

Aromas of juicy and tropical fruit, with a clean grapefruit/orange bitterness. A hazy American pale ale dry hopped with a heavy dose of Amarillo and Citra hops.

No comments: