Thursday, March 29, 2018

Oliphant Citizen Krang Campfire Bock

I try to make it out to Oliphant as often as I can, but it's not up to me. I don't drive a car. I'm dependent on the kindness of my friends to drive us out there. I watch their social media, see the new beers out and wish I could go. Jason and I finally made it out last week. I'd missed out on several beers since my last visit over two months ago. I still returned with crowlers and growlers that I hadn't reviewed here yet. This one I'm about to review is the second of those five, and the only brought back in a glass growler. That's what I do, bring back one growler fill, and the rest are cans. Unless there's a special barrel-aged beer in mini-growlers. Those seem to be going away, as more of them are being crowelerized, and I was lucky to bring back two of them. Which we'll get to later.

And this is the one I filled a growler with, and it confuses me just a little. On Untappd, I find a bock named Citizen Kang, a bock named after a Simpsons reference, or an Avengers one, whichever illustration Jeremy was using at the time. But there's no Citizen Krang (which would be a TMNT reference, of course), which is different because Trevor threw some smoked malt in by mistake. Are the folks at Untappd just slow, or....I don't know. I'm not throwing stones.

Oliphant Citizen Krang Campfire Bock. 6.3% ABV.

Clear, amber-toned, slim white head.

In the nose: Soft and slightly smokey aromatics. Mostly malty, low bitterness.

In the mouth: More smoke. More malt. But not too much of either. A little heat, a little spice, but, again, pretty mild. Tasty stuff, easy to drink, and I am digging it.

josh ate 2 quarts of spaghetti and everyone made fun of him. i heard him mutter under his breath, "13 or 14 more times, and i'm leaving." was he serious? i don't know, but i haven't seen him since. no one has. check your milk cartons.

campfire bock. 6.3% abv.

I don't turn to the Oliphant website for factual information. If all I get is some type of weirdness, that's fine with me. We use this nonsense on our menus at Acadia. I don't mind if it freaks some people out. Of course, I also hope it doesn't turn people away from trying the beers.

No comments: