Saturday, March 3, 2018

Barrel Theory Rain Drops Northeast India Pale Ale

Barrel Theory Beer Company Rain Drops Northeast IPA with Citra and Mosaic. 7.5% ABV. St. Paul, Minnesota.

I bought this on 12.31/17. I was filled three days prior. These beers are supposed to be consumed as fresh as possible. So,why did I sit on it for 2 months? I wanted to tie it in with the overall report on the brewery and my notes on their other beers, until the enormity of the endeavor always seemed more than I have time for. Well, no more of that. From now on, when I have a beer, I review it and publish it, and that's that. I've lost too many notes to time and procrastination.

Thoroughly hazed, naturally, utterly orange, with a prodigious, fluffy, lace-leaving white head. Looking great for the part.

In the nose: bright, brilliant, aburst with sunshine-y Citra hop sensations. The key to this beer is the extra dry-hopping with that do-no-wrong duo of Citra and Mosaic. Alone, they do just fine, but together they're unstoppable.

In the mouth: there's that "juicy" that's essential in the NE-style. Juicy, juicy, Joo-say! Bitterness garbs the palate just a bit at first, then is swallowed up by the juice. Touches of tropical meets the citric. Guava and passionfruit to bridge the orange and grapefruit. Malt is almost an afterthought. What we have going on in the mouthfeel is plush, yeasty, pillowy, squishy. Makes the beer go down mighty fine.

It's a tasty one, that's for sure. An admirable and absolutely likable brew. I might be turning around on these NE-IPAs, maybe, possibly, don't quote me on that. I still like them old time IPAs.

The more I drink it, the more I want to call it damned delicious. And maybe I will.

And two months old, it doesn't seem to have lost any freshness or vitality.

Although, it would be nice if folks could get it together: New England or Northeast, pick one and stick to it. Maybe that will happen. No one could settle Black IPA vs. Black Ale vs Cascadian Dark Ale, and before you know it, no one cares.

No comments: