Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Oliphant Anutart Cherry Sour

For the first time, crowlers from Oliphant feature unique and original painted art by Jeremy Hughes on their labels, and for the first time I'm trying out "anutart", which I'm just going to assume is pronounced: "A new tart." This is one I've never tried, though they've been making it for some time. I always seem to visit the taproom when it isn't there.

A word or two about Jeremy's picture. It looks like a tooth holding hands with a cat and a dog inside a mouth. Nothing strange about that. Except his creepy google eyes. And that his butt is on backwards. Must be a reason. Or not. (Wait. Should a tooth have a butt?)

Oliphant Anutart Cherry Sour Ale. Berliner Weisse? 5% ABV. Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

Clear, bold crimson color, slim whitish head, done in a quickness.

In the nose: bright and fruity. Growing tartness. There's your cherry.

In the mouth: Sweet, tart, fruity. Mmm. Nice. Tart, cherry, sweet, repeat. Medium bodied, quite drinkable, mmm. Maybe a little thin. Perhaps a full Wisconsin-sized crowler is more than I needed.

I'm not really into fruited kettle sours, but I can enjoy them and certainly see the appeal. A little of this one went a long way, though I finished the contents of the crowler with nothing but ease.

Did I buy this because the idea of the beer intrigued me, or because I drink every beer this brewery makes, or because I love Jeremy's art and want to have this on poster. Or t-shirt. Or something. I know for sure that I won't crush this one and toss it in the recycling bin.

No comments: