Monday, March 19, 2018

Hammerheart Gesik Finnish-style Sahti

And now we have the first Hammerheart bottle I've ever purchased. Why is this? Well, I haven't been to the taproom in nearly a year and a half, due to various circumstances. (Hey, friends, give me a call, and a reason to wake up on my days off!)
I've always got them on tap at Acadia, where I seldom write reviews, (though my last review was there, in December, 2016) but the bottles? Whenever I see them at stores, it's either avbeer I've had before, reviewed from growlers, or maybe the price was higher than I wanted to pay at the time.
In any case, it's time to bring them back into the Nib.

So: Hammerheart Brewing Company Gesik Sahit, Northern European-style Juniper ale, brewed by traditional methods. 7.6% alc. by volume. Lino Lakes, MN.

Highly clouded, crimson hued, slim, amber-toned head.

In the nose: Requisite Hammerheart smoked malt kicks it off, slightly spicy mixed with juniper. Summer sausage.

In the mouth: there we have Hammerheart at their game, being most uncompromising and iconoclastic. No hops at all. Just enough of the berries. Mild on the palate, but tasty and well-balanced, finely crafted. Medium/light-ish bodied. Whoever put those twigs in my beer knows what they're doing. Smoked malt provides appropriate balance and flavor. Very nice.

There's a bunch of tiny type on the bottle to give us some insight into the beer. Very tiny. Maybe they'll put it on the website one day.

No comments: