Thursday, April 12, 2018

Finnegan's Cluster Truck IPA

Finnegan's, the non-profit, charitable brewery contracted for many years at Summit, has been around for around 10 years, but hasn't had a brewery of their own. Until now. On Saturday, March 30, the new Finnegans House taproom opened up to the public, after a soft open on St. Patrick's Day. Last Thursday, April 5, I decided it was time to check them out. .


I was on Hennepin Avenue and took a light rail to Government Station, got off and walked. I knew I'd be able to find my way to 817 5th Avenue South without any problem, just a walk of a few blocks. The Brewery itself is adjacent to the new Kraus Anderson construction company building. I'd heard that the original concept was for a brewery/hotel concept, but that doesn't seem to be in effect just yet. I walked in to the beautifully appointed room, warm and comforting, gorgeously furnished. Found a seat, scanned the chalk. Six beers on tap, two of which I'd had before, the Irish Amber and the Blonde Ale. There was a Czech Pils that I chose to skip, which means that there were three beers that I tried and did not take notes on. I was satisfied with the saison, and thrilled with the barrel-aged Biere de Mars. No growlers for this one, but bottles were available. I didn't feel like dropping twenty buck on them, not that day. That left the Cluster Truck IPA. Hey, I like IPAs. Why not take it home in a growler?

And I did. And here are the notes:

Finnegan's Cluster Truck IPA. 6.5% ABV. 65 IBU. Finnegans Brewery, Minneapolis, MN.

Clear, golden hued, slim white head.

In the nose: Yes, this I like. Delightful tropical and citrus notes, with a trace of pine, and just enough bitterness to tickle the nose. Very good. Right on for this hophead.

In the mouth: More yes, more fresh and zest. Right amount of citrus-y hops, right amount of bitterness to please the palate. Grapefruit, orange, lemon, pineapple plus. Light malt flavors. Easy drinker. Very refreshing and utterly delightful. Good ol' IPA, this one. I recommend it.

An American IPA with a truckload of hops. Cluster Truck is brewed with close to four pounds of Columbus, Comet Amarillo, and Citra Hops per barrel, creating a taste profile with hints of grapefruit rind, fresh cut grass, and rolled down windows. It’s hoppy but not too bitter. Perfect for having a few without filling your tank.

"Rolled down windows"? Are they suggesting we drink and drive? Or just a nonsensical automotive related pun? Or something.

More info: 6.5 % ALC/VOL • 65 IBU
5 HEAVENLY INGREDIENTS:
WATER, WHEAT, YEAST, HOPS, MALTED BARLEY
PAIRS WELL WITH:
SPICY DISHES
MEXICAN CUISINE
STIR FRY
TAILGATE PARTIES


Is there more you'd like to know about this new Finnegans Brewery? What can I tell you? All the beer brewed on site is for the taproom. The cans and bottles and now brewed at Badger Hill in Shakopee. There's usually a food truck, just not that day. There's a foosball table on a stage above the other tables. It's a brand spanking new room and looks ever-so lovely. The service was excellent. I had a nice time, and I'll be back, and tell you more about the beers.
How's that?

No comments: