Thursday, April 5, 2018

Town Hall Barley Vine Wine-barrel-aged Barley-wine

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Barley Vine. 11.2% ABV. American Barleywine (Twisted Reality) aged in red wine barrels.

On Tuesday, February 21, Day Three of Town Hall Brewery's Barrel Aged Week, the Vine series was released. Vine's Eye, Strong American honey ale aged in French oak red wine barrels. Frosted Vine, | Imperial stout aged in French oak red wine barrels. And the one I'm about to tell you about.

I was not there that day, for I had to work at 5, when they released the beer. Wednesday, when they also released Strawberry Stave and Kentucky Truffle, two brand new beers, I started at 6 pm and had time for a quick one, after a long wait at the busy bar. Next day's a day-off, so I went in with plenty of time to catch up on what I couldn't have for the past few days. The Vine series had some hits and misses. I definitely enjoyed Frosted Vine, and wished I could have taken a growler home, but it had sold out the first day, being a new beer, and being a bourbon barrel imperial stout. Vine's Eye was less successful, and I passed on a growler, when they were still available weeks later. Why spent $19 when I already found it disappointing?

And that's why I brought home a Barley Vine, and finally cracked it open the other night to take these notes:

Dark brown color, with ruby highlights, slim-ish, whitish head above.

In the nose: So beautifully smooth. I'm picking up some wine barrel effects, some that Twisted is coming through, but it's really a great blending. A little sweet and vinous, a little deep and malty, and altogether lovely.

In the mouth: Yum. That's the first order of business. Flat-out yum. Rich red wine goodness, followed by caramel-y, chocolate-y maltiness. It's divine, this Barley Vine. I'm soaking in it. Always a fan of a good barley-wine, this one goes the extra mile.



No comments: