Monday, June 25, 2018

Cuvee des Jacobins Prestige Flemish Sour Ale

Cuvee des Jacobins Prestige Flemish Sour Ale. Very Limited Release. 7.6% ABV. Brouwerij Omer Vander Ghinste. (formerly Bockor). Bellegem, West-Vlaanderen Belgium.
There are times that I take my picture of the beer
and the bottle on the coasters, and I wonder to
myself if the Spider-Man coaster is appropriate.
And then I answer myself, "why wouldn't
it be?"

Here's another one that I'm going to describe to you, but I can't tell you where to find it. Not available in the home market, for reasons no one can explain. Thanks, again, Nick.

Clear, bright crimson color, slim white head.

In the nose: vinegar, fruit, oak. All that funky brett weirdness and big bunch of complexity. Sweet, then sour, then funky and a lot of fun that we're in for.

In the mouth: Pow! Wow! The fierce funk on the tongue, rich and wild, strange cherry-ish tones, the bark of the oak. Lip-smacking sour. Fresh and refreshing. Non-stop tasty.

I enjoyed the heck out of this one.

Prestige is a blend of 24 month-old foederbier, spontaneously fermented in and blended from foeders IX, XI and XIV. It has a deeper brettanomyces character and an overall soft and fruity character. Sourness is here in plenty, just like the Cuvée Rouge, but the balance is finer and tipped more toward stone fruit.

No comments: