Friday, June 15, 2018

Dual Citizen University IPA

Dual Citizen University IPA. 5.5% ABV. 75 IBU. Dual Citizen Brewery, St. Paul, MN.

Clear-ish, copper-y colored, slimmed white head.

In the nose: Earthy, herbal-y, citrus. Flowery. Nice.

In the mouth: Hops pounce and play on the palate. Just enough bitterness, just enough sweet. Mixture of malt nears complexity, but doesn't quite make the grade. Feels a little unbalanced, but I can't say in which way. There's a lot of bitter, and a bunch of sweet, but they just don't mesh. Jarrylo, Galena, and Chinook are the hops in this one.

It's a good beer, but it's not much better than that. It is likable, but not lovable. So, I do like it. And I would drink another. But. And, there's always a but. ....

I'm going to keep an eye on this brewery, and hope that the next one I write about here is one I like just a little bit better.

Hop forward aroma with notes of melon, pear, and black pepper. Medium body with bitter hop astringency. Malty sweetness balances piney hops bitterness before giving way to an earthy, dry finish.

No comments: