Monday, June 18, 2018

Ska Brewing Pink Vapor Stew Sour Ale

Ska Brewing Pink Vapor Stew Sour Ale. 5.1% ABV. Ska Brewing, Durango, CO.

Pink Vapor Stew? That's the name of a beer? What? Okay, here we go.

Bright crimson, opaque, slim whitish head,

In the nose: Odd. Vegetal? I'm not getting much sour yet, or fruit, or whatever I'm supposed to....just a big "huh." Yeah, Huh.

And now, we drink. Here's the sour, very profound tart on the tongue. Hits quick and dissipates. Light bodied, not much for malt. Lot of sour, and I can't tell what else.

I'm going to read the can now. On top: "Roots-moral panic-recycle-mirrors-beets-recycle-piquant-b-movie-recycle-ready-steady-go." Oh, really, now? More: "MOD Project No. 1: Malt beverage brewed with apples, ginger, carrots & beets. Sour ale. 5.1% ABV." Who the Hell is saying "needs more carrots" in the brewhouse?

Are the beets for color? Are the carrot and apples for...? What? I'm not getting their flavors, neither for ginger. This is confusion. It's tart, sour, and not the least bit fruity. Guess we got to go with vegetal.

Is this designed for sour-heads, who want to steer clear of fruity, don't want a touch of the sweet? And what the hell is Pink Vapor Stew? It's from a Fishbone song? That I've been aware for many years? What?!?

I had no idea they were singing "pink vapor stew."
 I had no idea what they were singing.

Anyway, it's a weird beer, but it's good. If this sounds good to you, go ahead and drink it. Don't let me stop you.

No comments: