Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Founders DKML Imperial Malt Liquor Aged in Bourbon Barrels

Founders DKML Imperial Malt Liquor Aged in Bourbon Barrels. "Kicks You Where You Most Expect It."  14.2% ABV. 38 IBU. Founders Brewing, Grand Rapids, MI.

Slightly hazy, bright amber/golden hue, slim white head.

In the nose: Pungent alcohol appearance from the first, Big booze, powerful fruit, intense hops, and whiskey a-go-go. Vast, rich, intensely flavorful.

In the mouth: More intensity. Sharp, loud, boisterous, banging. Spilling it all over the place. Busting out of it's britches. Alcoholic edges step over their boundaries. Corn. Vanilla. Malt. Booze. All that and more clambering over the fence and itching to get into it.

This one didn't slay like it warns us all. I was very satisfied, finished my glass, and tucked myself in, nighty-night, waking up none the worse from it all.

Or, maybe I'm lying. Maybe it done my brain in, and I burst forth from my home, naked as the day I was born, howling at the moon, and running wild until the coppers tore me out of that tree and tossed me into the hoosegow.

Maybe that's it. I'll never tell. You'll have to check the police blotter.

I did like it, and I'm glad I tried it. Thanks, Jeff!

By the way, this marks the first "malt liquor" in the Nib. Some of my better written reviews of the past were of malt liquors that friends gave me, in order to see what I would write. Somehow, I haven't been able to buy them in order to re-post the reviews. If you care to donate, I'll send you my address.

Here you have what could be the first malt liquor worthy of a glass. Typically a slighted style, we thought we would class it up with a stay in the wood and a healthy dose of dry-hopping. A huge hit of corn gives this one a smooth sweetness while its time spent aging in bourbon barrels will give you reason to share. Be warned: this one’s a pry-off, not a twist-off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess the first-malt-liquor-worthy-of-a-blog-post designation means you have not tried Cornballer from The Bruery.

Al McCarty said...

Do you have a bottle for me, Dave?