Monday, June 25, 2018

Oliphant Berry Meowton Amish Strawberry Milkshake IPA

Oliphant Berry Meowton Amish Strawberry Milkshake IPA. 5.6% ABV. Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

I've said before that I don't like "milkshake IPAs" and I should stop reviewing them. And then, I'm trying to keep up with my favorite breweries and find that I have no choice. It happened recently with Modist, and it's happening now. It's been almost two months since my last visit to the brewery, and I also haven't been visiting the stores much lately. At a recent visit to a store that carries Oliphant, there were two crowlers available, one I'd had before, and this one. So, I bought it, and here we go, I'm going to drink it.

But before I drink it, I can't figure out the name or the label. Some sandworm king vs. a strawberry worm? Barry Meowton? I'll figure it out....Has Jeremy been reading "Dune" or watching it, lately? Is that it?

"Amish Strawberry"? Sure, I get that. They got some strawberries from the Amish.

It's a cloudy one. Vaguely strawberry-isa in color, a dull crimson, with a fine head of milky froth.

In the nose: well, there it is. Strawberry ice cream. Very nice.

In the mouth: Sweetness and fruit, small amount of bitter. Creamy, smooth, ultra-drinkable. Sweet, sweet strawberries. Man, do I love strawberries. I will never turn one down. Come on, prove it. Prove to me, show that you have evidence of me turning down a strawberry. It never happened.

So, where were we? Yeah, it's a strawberry milkshake IPA and I paid $9 for it and it's something I can drink and even enjoy but my opinion of "milkshake" beers still holds. I'm not getting enough of the beer, and certainly not enough of the IPA. But that's not to take anything away from the brewery.
Or any of my other favorite breweries that make this style that I hate. It's just....it's just not beer....

No comments: