Sunday, May 17, 2020

Drekker Doomsday Device Double IPA

Drekker Doomsday Device
Double IPA. 8.3 % ABV.
Drekker Brewing, Fargo, ND.

I went looking for a double IPA, and this was all I could see. I haven't had a Drekker in a while, but I remember the sting I felt when I bought a 4-pack of a DIPA from these guys and it was hazy, of course, because that's all they ever do. At this point, some of you are reading this and thinking, "what's the matter with this guy? Drekker is the best, and they make the best hazies, who doesn't like them?He's nuts!" Well, I don't like hazy DIPAs as well as the regular kind. There, I said it. Count me out as some kind of kook, if you must.

Once again, I love the label art. Seems to be in honor of a pinball game, though the central figure looks a lot like the leader of Latveria. (Dr. Doom to those of you unversed in Marvel Comics lore.)

All hazed up, of course, pure orange, healthy, lasting layer of white foam on top.

In the nose: yeasty, chalky, hoppy, and sweet. Loads of the tropical, pineapple, mango, & such leading the charge. Citrus soon follows.

In the mouth: Smooth stuff and clean, light bodied. Just a little bit juicy. Tropical fruit notes take turn with the citrus. Moderate hop bitterness. Strength starts to show, in time, burning up the palate, just a bit. I'd like this better with more hop bitterness and less hazy, fuzzy stuff mucking it up. One guy's opinion.

Mr. Drekker welcomes a brand new 100% Mosaic Double IPA that's just exploding with flavor. Built on a base of Golden Promise, oats, & spelt, with huge bursts of mango, citrus & stone fruit, this one is locked and loaded with enough Mosaic to doom us all. So, uhh, sorry, but what a way to go!

Who the hell is Mr. Drekker? There is no one by that name. But that's cool, keep it up, kids.

No comments: