Friday, May 29, 2020

Talking Waters Flabongo Sour IPA

Talking Waters Flabongo Sour IPA. 6.5 % ABV.
Canned 5/20, purchased 5/25.
Talking Waters Brewing, Montevideo, MN.

Talking Waters Brewing Company of Montevideo, MN. It was stop number one in a 3 brewery Sunday trip with Jason back in 2016, that I did not ultimately do a write-up on, regrettably. It was a good story. I did take notes on the IPA I took home in a growler, but didn't publish that either, because the photo was terrible. Wait a minute. No, it's not, actually. So, perhaps I'll resurrect that one, soon.

 I liked their beers, and would gladly try them again. Would love to travel those 2 and a half hours to the west once again. But, in order to try their beers again, I don't have to, for I found their crowlers on sale at Hum's, and this one seemed the closest to a thing I'd like, out of the three available. Maybe I'll go back for the other two...if this city hasn't burned to the ground by then...sigh...

Mostly clear, bright crimson colored, slightly pinkish, with a thin head above.

In the nose: Funky, fruity, tart. I went in blind with this Flabongo, so I don't know 100% what I'm getting here. We'll find out later. For now, tartness, berries, tropical tones, and a bit of weirdness.

In the mouth: Big sour from the start, matched with big fruit. Touch of bitterness, keeps time with the sweet. Juicy, fruity, sweet, and sour. Medium bodied, easy drinking. Not bad, not bad at all.

It all started with a crazy idea to make a beer bong out of a flamingo. Said idea transpired into brewing a style just as wild. A ‘best of both worlds’ sour IPA hopped up with NZH-107, Azacca, and Sabro. To compliment the already tasty situation, we doused this one with fresh strawberries, guava, and hibiscus. You know what happens next... #flabongo 

Strawberries, guava, and hisbiscus...yeah, that's what I meant to say.

Also, I have to say...IPA? No, it's not. There's no bitterness at all. Just because there are hops, doesn't make it an IPA. Whatever, I know I can't win.


No comments: