Sunday, May 17, 2020

ONE Fermentary & Taproom Paint It Bold DDH IPA

ONE Fermentary & Taproom Paint It Bold DDH IPA.
7.5 % ABV. Filled: 5/1.
ONE Fermentary & Taproom, Minneapolis, MN.

(The following was written on 5/7, but was not published immediately for certain reasons that may become clear.)
I revisited ONE today for the first time in six weeks. I haven't visited many breweries in that time, in fact, I haven't been to any. (Not true: I saw Town Hall briefly next, but no one since.)
Staying at home. Many of my friends have been helping out the local beer economy by visiting taprooms to purchase crowlers, but there's something about going through the trouble of traveling to a brewery taproom, or a brewpub, getting the beer-to-go, and then getting the heck out of there that I find sad and disheartening. I want to stick around and stay a spell.

But, I busted out, and now that they're doing crowlers, I got a quartet. And here's one, and I didn't check others' opinions before I chose it, I just picked it.
Now, let's see what it's all about, this fruited DDH IPA. (What fruit? I don't know!)

Crystal clear, bright golden color, large and lasting ivory head. softly settling.

In the nose: Hoppy, fruity, funky, ...off. Wild. Weird. Not promising.

In the mouth: Splash of hops, citrus and stone fruit, blast of bitterness, followed by more of that strange funky feeling. I don't know what to think so far. I will peek ahead at the website notes: Fruity double dry hop IPA. Bright and refreshing!

Usually, I leave that part for last, but I had to see what the intention was, with this one. So, what's the fruit? Apricot, I'm guessing, maybe peach, maybe? Not sure.

And while it was intended to be refreshing, these off flavors do not make it so. This beer is several shades away from being good. I want to think the best about their offerings, but this one just isn't what it should be. We have to admit that.


No comments: