Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout

I had my first bottle of Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout way back in 2004, in a trade with a native Indianaian (?)(that can't be right...Indiana-ite?). It had been hanging up there in the BeerAdvocate Top 50 for so long, taunting and teasing me. I'd alway been an Imperial Stout junkie, as well as a Three Floyds fan, saddened at the time that I couldn't get them locally anymore, and was thrilled to get it in my hands, at last. In those early years of note-taking, I ran away with my enthusiasm on many occasions, letting my passion overtake any sense of impartiality or reserve. I let the words flow, as well as the exclamation points (many since removed), and my hyperbole spilled out, unchecked.

I never sought out another bottle of Dark Lord, always in search of the next big beer. In the intervening years, I'd only had it a few times, in the company of others, at tastings, parties, when kind friends brought it to my workplace, etc. I never tried to trade for it, it's never been available for sale here, and I did not attend Dark Lord Day in an effort to secure some bottles. Darkness Day was enough for me, although if any friends had offered to take me along, I might have gone.

So, I finally have one, from last year, courtesy of my sweet and wonderful friend Julie. I pulled out those old notes, and thought about whether they still applied, and here's the thing: I would most likely never write anything like this again, which is mostly the point of recycling old notes, keeping this blog a vault for the the writing I'd done before. But, with the bluster and blather put aside, do the nuts and bolts of it still ring true? I believe so. The froth on top is the result of having wanted to appreciate it on a scale that matched my desire and devotion. As searched for my old notes online, I scrolled through other reviews that didn't find the favor that I did, many reviewers being underwhelmed, blasting it all as hype. There were a few different lanes to fall into, and that of the skeptic would not be mine. There are many reviews of my favorites by other people that find them merely "average" or such, but I'm not reeling back any of my praise.

In short, I enjoyed this bottle, looking back with a calmer perspective, my finding od the past standing the test of time. Thanks again to Julie.

Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, 15 % ABV, Three Floyds Brewing, Munter, IN.


I'm attempting to uncap this as I would any other beer, but the Dark Lord won't have it that way. "It's not normal!" And I left the wine servicer at work! Ah, here's one! Shhfft!, there she goes, now to pour...

Darkest, blackest hue, a perfect pitch, color-wise, ebony in it's epitome, as soiled as Satan's underthings, with a smallish head, but richly roasted, deep tannish brown, quickly succumbing into a tight ring.

Aroma is rich and redolent with all things dark and good, ...molasses speaks up, soy sauce gets a nod, prunes, raisins, port wine, a hint of dark rum, and a glimmer of carob, an intriguing and arresting nose.

Taste: Huge! Thick! Pow, pow, powerful! This is the 800 gorilla on the palate, when it sits around the mouth, it SITS AROUND the mouth!
Oh, my, good, loving, freakadelic-alicius-LORD!
So rich, it begs the robber barons to empty the playing field, for they haven't got the coinage to match this magic. Massive mouthfeel. A sea of chocolate swims on the tongue, and invades every center of the senses. Fruit chimes in too, cherries, and berries, all drenched in chocolate, as well!

A clinging factor pervades the flavor, as well, for this is a taste that never quits, it stays, and stays, and if you're not ready to make it comforable at your home, it doesn't care, you're taking the couch and Dark Lord is sleeping in your comfy cushy adjusta-bed!

WOW! Luxuriant, like nothing else, rich to the point of delirium, a powerful liquified candy bar, ....a decadent treat, like no other!
oh, my...puts all other pretenders to shame... a killer-diller, I fear running out of superlatives and will allow this malevolent master to merely stride along this mortal realm with all my blessings, and add the encomium that it's a majestic and dangerous thing all in one package...oh, my..in this case, all other previously praised Imperial Stouts must take back-seat, oh, my, though, Mr. Hershey should worry. Mr. Nestle could fret, too..good Lord, it's good, almost too much for me...if you want to examine the limits of this style, go no further than Dark Lord.
So heavy on the palate, so huge in flavor!

Bow down, one and all, bow before your Dark Lord, and don't mess around, he can do that finger-chokey- thingy, just like Lord Vader, I mean, they're practically cousins, so, unless you know some Jedi juju, stray far away from the terrible magic of the Dark Lord...unless you enjoy this particular punishment...which I do...in spades.

A demonic Russian-Style Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, Mexican vanilla, and Indian sugar, this beer defies description. Available one day a year, in April at the brewery: Dark Lord Day.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Looking to replace a gifted Dark Lord that was lost in a move. Thanks for the great write-up...any chance you might know someone that would be willing to sell/trade a Dark Lord? I'm in MN...

Thanks!