Saturday, July 3, 2021

Bell's Tropical Oberon

Bell's Tropical Oberon. Wheat Ale with Mango, Guava, and Passionfruit. 

5.8 % ABV. Bell's Brewery, Comstock, MI. 


I bought this beer for several reasons. I always like to keep up with Bell's, and this one has been around for a while, though I was unaware of it's existence. (How did that happen?). I've enjoyed Oberon for many, many years. And I need a reason to break out my Oberon weizen glass. So, let's drink it. 

Thick, impenetrable, turbid. Dull orange color. And a vast array of floating particulates. Terribly unattractive. (And this is hardly an old bottle. Packaged 5/20/2021, says the label, and I bought it just last week, after it had been in the store for a couple.) Large and lasting ivory head, though. 

In the nose: Pungent barrage of tart tropical fruit notes. Sour, overripe fruit. Funky. 

In the mouth: Tart from the start. Sweet fruit flavors kick it off, and the sour soon takes over. Throughout the drink, it's a tug of war between sweetness and sour. Medium bodied, leaning on light. Minimal texture. Not quite the fruit flavorings I'm looking for. Do we need three? Couldn't one or two have done the trick? 

In the end, I liked it. But I didn't love it. And I wanted to love it. 

Oberon shines vibrant and bright in this limited release. Brewed with real passionfruit, pink guava, and mango, this ale takes your favorite summer need to new shores. Mini drink umbrellas sold separately. 

No comments: