Thursday, July 29, 2021

BlackStack Local Dream Universe IPA


BlackStack Local Dream Universe IPA.

7 % ABV. BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 

This beer was part one of a three-way (pardon the expression) collaboration between BlackStack, Modist, and Fair State, with each brewery making their own version of a mash-up, if you will, of their popular hazy IPAs, Local 755, DreamYard, and Mirror Universe. This one was another one of those $20 4-packs, but I went in on it with a co-worker, and we spilt the cost of the four. I had the first one shortly thereafter, back in February, and this second can got lost in the shuffle, and was largely pushed aside for the past five months. I am trying hard to drink down my reserve and make sure this doesn't happen in the future. 

The second one, by Fair State, was skipped because I remembered how much I hate the hazies. And the third, by Modist, was left behind for that reason and once more because it was another $20 4-pack. (How was Fair State able to get away with only $13.50 for theirs?)

So, here I go, reviewing a beer that you can't buy anymore, which I really should have poured down my throat months ago. ...

Hazed as all get-out, bright yellow coloring, slim white head. 

In the nose: Big citrus, large lemon and orange. High hopping. 

In the mouth: Light on the palate, mild hoppiness, mellow flavors, very smooth. Juicy for a bit. Citrus flavors are king here. More bright, tasty hop flavors shining away. With just enough, but not too much, of the fuzziness that the "murk" madmen crave these days. 

I don't mind this at all, but with every sip I have to remember that the murk is not for me, and I cannot does the fuzz. 

Also, I once again made the error of emptying the contents of the can into the glass, and witnessing the disgusting display of the the dregs of mess floating about, before settling at the bottom. I wonder if this is the result of the five months, or if it would have been sediment-free when it was fresher? If so, my fault, I guess. Don't save these things, everyone, it is to no one's advantage. 

A meeting of minds & murky mainstays with our peeps at Modist Brewing Company & Fair State Brewing Cooperative. We traded lots of our hand-selected hops and layered the dry-hop bills to fully lace up our foggy favorites. Oodles of pils, wheat & oats piled to the sky with our individually hand-selected T-90 & Cryo, lots of Citra, Mosaic, Sultana, Azacca, Amarillo & El Dorado. Drink Local. Play Fair. Be Modist.


No comments: