Monday, July 26, 2021

Modist illbrewmanati Vol. 2 triple dry hopped triple IPA

Modist illbrewmanati Vol. 2 triple dry hopped triple IPA.

10 % ABV. Modist Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.  


When this beer arrived on the scene, it's seemed like something I ought to try. However...according to my rigid rules, this beer had several strikes against it. It is a New England IPA, a thing which I rail against. It is in the current fad of the triple dry hopping, something else which doesn't fall in with my favor. And thirdly, it's one of these "triple IPAs" that is merely 10% ABV, a thoroughly stupid trend. Also, it was nearly $20 for the 4-pack, and I was hesitant to buy one...until my former co-worker J.B. stopped in and offered to split one with me. And so, I paid a mere $10 for 2, instead of the full $20. And I had one without taking notes, as I do, and now it's time to take the matter into hand ...

Completely hazed out, bright golden hue, slim white head. 

In the nose: Swimming with citrusy goodness. Popping with orange, lemon, grapefruit, and various stripes of the tropical tones...some pineapple, guava, etc. Accompanied by the yeasty fuzz.

In the mouth: Soft, and sufficiently hoppy. Plump with citrus feels on the palate. Big orange and grapefruit, low bitterness, smooth and nearly silky. Just about juicy, and ever-so drinkable, despite the ABV. I still wish for a more profound bitter bite, which this beer will not allow me. It's tasty, and enjoyable, but this new style does not deliver what I'm looking for...I guess I just have to face it. I will never understand the drive to fashion the bitter-less double  (or triple!) IPA....what happened? Where did everyone else go astray? 

I'm old, I guess, put me out to pasture, but leave out a bucket of beer, please...the hoppier the better...

Alvarado St. x Modist x Other Half

Tri collaboration triple dry hopped New England Triple IPA brewed with Golden Promise, Barke Pilsner, malted wheat, flaked oats, hopped and triple dry hopped with Citra, El Dorado, Strata, Nelson Sauvin, Citra Cryo, and El Dorado Cryo


No comments: