Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Samson Original Czech Bock Beer

Samson Original Czech Bock Beer.


6.1 % ABV, Budějovický měšťanský pivovar, Czech Republic (subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch/InBev)

Beers from the Czech Republic have only appeared here in the Nib twice before, both of them pilsners: the  iconic original, Pilsner Urquel and Praga. And now we have a bock, from a brewery I'd never heard of before, that has been around since 1795, apparently. This is come as no surprise, really, because there are so many breweries in the world. I can't know all of them, but it's not for lack of trying. 

Pours out a clear, golden hue, not the color I was expecting. Well, not all bocks are brown, after all. Slim, negligible head. 

In the nose: I want to say "floral" or "malty", but the aromatics coming from this beer that was resting in a transparent green bottle are best described as "skunk."

In the mouth: A bit on the sweet side, with a modicum of hop bitterness. And I'm not getting any flavors I'd associate with a bock. Maybe a Maibock, but it doesn't quite cut it, if that's the case. Light-bodied, drinkable-ish ...and lackluster. I will finish this bottle, because that's what I do, but not because I'm enjoying it. 

Wait, it won a World Beer Award for "World's Best Style Winner"? Maybe it suffered in the travel? Oh, well, it was only $3. 

No comments: