Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Brooklyn Black Ops Four Roses

Brooklyn Black Ops Four Roses 2021. Russian Imperial Stout. 

12.4 % ABV. Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, NY. 


I remember when I began my current stint in retail, there was a bomber of this one on the shelf, and I was interested, but that $20+ price tag? No, no, no. It sat for many months. Then, a week or so ago, this version came out, 4 packs of 16 ounce cans for $14. Hell, yes. There were two left on the shelf, out of two flats (12 four-packs), when I grabbed this. Probably all gone by now. Let's drink one, and, as long as I have a bottle, do a shot of Four Roses with it. 

Solid blackness, thoroughly opaque, short brown head that slims down quickly. 

In the nose: Bourbon screams out of there, big barrel flavor, add to that cocoa, licorice, huge vanilla, charcoal, cherries, ...the whole magilla. Enormous nose. 

In the mouth: Massive. Amazing. I'm drinking this colder than I should. I have never been one to cup a glass to warm it. Something about that seems excessively geeky. I'll let my patience do the trick, as it warms in my belly. Again, though, this is gigantic, huge. It's a fantastic trip, big bourbon, big stout. Boom, boom, boom, boom. A very nice nightcap, this. Sweet dreams, everyone. 

The rumors are true: Brooklyn Black Ops is real, and it is delicious. This vintage of Black Ops was aged in Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon barrels to call forth big chocolate and coffee notes and a rich, mellow underpinning of vanilla-like oak. It’s a legend in a glass.

No comments: