Saturday, April 16, 2011

North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout


Here's one I turn to again, and again, and have been a fan of for years. Such a fan that when I first wrote about it back in December, 2002, I fairly gushed. So much so, that I took this photo months ago, but haven't posted yet thinking the review needed work. It's on tap at the Nile now, the second time in a month, and there's another opportunity to re-work my words. Perhaps I'll re-write it at some point, but in keeping with the warts and all aspect of this project, here is the eight-year old scribblings I threw onto the internet. Old Rasputin, ladies and gentlemen:

"An old, old favorite that I've been loyal to since my very first sip.

Huge, cocoa-colored head, properly boisterous and fizzy.
Phenomenally aromatic: all the regulars for this style and more are here in attendance--cocoa, coffee, toffee, anise, molasses.
Very mellow, despite the flavor and strength.
Perfectly black in color, fantastic texture: thick and chewy, but not overly so.

This is a great accompaniament for any meal, particularly rich and spicy food. I'd compliment the finish, but it never stops! The flavor sticks in your mouth forever, it seems. One of the finest stouts in all the universe."

A little over-the-top at the end, right. Oh, well, someday we'll if Alpha Centauri can do better, won't we?

No comments: