Monday, April 25, 2011

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Stout


There are many beers out there with unpalatable nomenclature, for reasons unknown to us all. Of course, Moose Drool Brown Ale from Big Sky of Montana. Turns out there's a porter from South Dakota called Pile-0-Dirt, who can say why. (Coming soon to this page.) The unfortunately named Armpit Ale from Kentucky, and Idaho's Monkey Gland Secretions Saison. (Okay, I made those two up.) Add to this list Buffalo Sweat. Why?
Anyway, let's open the can, ...and think back to September, 2010 when I wrote this about it:

"Dangerously Dark, Authentically Awesome, Pour A Pint..."

Yes, Dark. Not sure how dangerous it is...Lovely, cocoa-tan head, nice looking stout.

Aroma: Pitch perfect oatmeal stout, smooth and creamy, chocolate, silky smooth. Slightly sweet.

Taste: Mmm, more of the same, just lovely. Easy down the throat, roasty malt, toasty, oatmeal smooth, light cocoa taste. Super drinkability.

All in all, a nice, easy drinking stout. Could be fuller, could be richer, but this is what it is, and it's pretty nice. I'd have one again, but I don't think I'd seek it out. There's richer, fuller stouts that'll grab my dollars.

1 comment:

Lost said...

I love this beer. I had it out at CANFEST (Reno) last fall. I'm a sucker for a great cream stout though.

I'm patiently awaiting the day that Tallgrass distributes out to the East coast...

-Lost