Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stone Levitation Ale


If you haven't been living in a hollowed out log, last week Stone Brewing Company at last entered our market. And the first six-pack I ever bought was Levitation Ale. Along with a bomber of Arrogant Bastard Ale. We'll get to that one, soon. For now, I'm so glad I can drink again, I'm starting slow, easy, and approachable. Like a 4.5% amber ale.

Here are my notes from, whoa, July, 2003?

"With a name like this, I'd expected a lighter-than-air quality, a wheat beer or a kolsch. But I must have forgotten that I was deaing with
stone, who will dash any expectation.
Pours a dark, rustic brown, more a light crimson around the foot and sides.
Head is thick, fluffy, creamy.
Aroma: sweet and malty at the fore,deep, spicy, rich, a little vinous, with a good batch of hops. Taste is the very peg of a red ale, or an Irish, done right.
Greets the tongue mildly, though loaded with flavor. Lacks thee extremeness of the big Stone brews, and is quite accessible, not so scary at all.
Medium body, nice, malty, toasty finish, very pleasant and tasty overall.
If this were available in this market, Levitation would have a regular spot reserved in my fridge."

That's what I said then. Guess it's true.

No comments: