Monday, April 25, 2011

Tallgrass Oasis


One more from the Little Apple, Manhattan, Kansas. I think that's actually the name of a brewpub there, come to think of it. Anyway, the little brewery that "can", Tallgrass. (I'm going to be WoodyChandler, if I don't watch out.)

"American Double/Imperial IPA", according to BeerAdvocate, 7.2 % a.b.v. And here are the notes from September, 2010:

Tallgrass Oasis Ale. Aggressively Hopped, Mightily Malted, Pour a Pint. (Hmm, the pint craft can, where'd that idea come from?)

Deep crimson coloring, a little soft on the sides, highly hazed, creamy beige-ish head.

Aroma: big twist of caramel malt, citrus notes, piney bitter hops...you know, it's weird, ...it reminds me of something. Grapefruit and lemon? No, something else...

Taste: BAM! Huge hops right off the bat, flooding the palate, washing over the mouth and swishing through the senses. Beautiful bitterness butts up against sweet malt. Intense flavors, but well balanced. Big all over, fat flavors, long, generously hoppy finish. Alcohol isn't over-the-top, but a bit big for the...wait, what's the style?

Oh, wait, I know...it's Surly Furious-style! Seriously, this is the first commercial brew I've had that tastes almost exactly like my hometown favorite. ( Although Brooklyn Center isn't my hometown, it's close enough.) I swear it's as if they were intentionally creating a Furious clone. (And that's fine with me. Some day Furious will be a style of it's own. At last it will win GABF medals.)

This is delicious stuff, and well done. If Surly can't go to Kansas, good for Tallgrass for bringing their own version to Manhattanites.

No comments: