Friday, September 2, 2011

Flying Dog Snake Dog India Pale Ale


So, it goes. August was my worst month yet, the one where I failed to keep my promise to myself of one beer/review for each day of the month. Too much time was being devoted to the project of moving into my new apartment, out of the old, just didn't feel like taking to the notes every night. My new project for September: to cover that distance. Maybe in the ninth month of the year I'll 40, 50 or more beers. It's not unprecedented, it's been done before.
To help out with that, I stopped at my new local beer store, Chicago Lake Liquors, about 5 blocks away. A surprisingly good craft beer selection, better than the last time I was there. And, no, there was no more Surly Five (I bought my fourth bottle there last Wednesday.) Many sample packs there, and that help cover some ground. Grabbed a Flying Dog Alpha Collection, which gives us their hoppy ales primarily, including an Imperial IPA I've never had before. Looking forward to that, but first, let's look at Snake Dog IPA, and here's what they currently print on the labels, next to Ralph Steadman's twisted art.
"Tired of those annoying 3AM hang-up s form your crazy, stalking ex? Turns out the same qualities that make your EX so damn annoying make our Snake Dog IPA so attractive. Chock full of bitterness, bite and attitude, it slaps you in the face with flavor. Just like your psycho ex did at the bar last weekend." 7.1% , IBU: 60.

And here's what I said about it, circa Feb, 2003:
-----------------------------------------
"Beautiful orange color, and a nice, but swiftly receding head.
Aroma is terrifically fruity: apricot, peach, tangerine, citrus.
This is my first time drinking this in at least a year, and something tastes different, for I don't recall the aroma being quite so vivid.
The label used to read :"Snakes down your throat like a loyal friend", a quote attributed to Anna Steadman, the illustrator's wife?, but the slogan is missing now. It remains a true endorsement, however. Hoppy, but not wildly so . Wonderfully soft and delicious palate.
At times, I'm reminded of Anchor Liberty, but it's closer to Bass in smoothness and drinkability. Much less hoppy than many a MidWestern IPA. Ideal as a session beer."
------------------------------------------
Man, does that have the me of 2003 all over it!

No comments: