Monday, September 19, 2011

SurlyFest

Just tapped this one the other day, and looking back at my first notes ever, from a bottle, a preview given to me by Omar. I'm pretty sure nothing like that ever happened again. They can put out the beers with utter confidence, no need to put out samples and ask what bar managers think. The next year, I reviewed it again, from the can, but we won't worry about that. Here are the notes on Surly's non-marzen, not-traditional, doens't-satisfy-Omar's mom, kind of malty lager, dry-hopped, etc., etc....

Reviewed from a sample bottle provided by the brewers prior to release. SurlyFest is their take on an Oktoberfest, but, like most of their offerings, isn't likely to satisfy style sticklers. Single-hopped, with Summit, and dry-hopped, using German malt and Crystal Rye. 40 IBUs, between 5 and 6% abv. One single batch brewed, lagered for about 3 months.

Dark orange color, fairly hazed, with a fine slice of bubbly white froth above.

Malty aroma, light fruit, some pumpkin, vegetal, grassy, ...an intriquing blend. Smells like an O-fest, for sure, but doesn't hit me with hops like I anticipated. But definitely hoppier than than the normal Marzen.

Taste: crisp, smooth, slightly sweet, well-balanced, streams through the senses with ease, without being the least bit light bodied or thin. Just delicious. Eternally tasty. Brilliant flavor. Just shines. My vocabulary and sense perception fails me. This is quite a new thing on the tongue and a real, true delight for the tastebuds. Hops really hang in there in the finish, staying on the palate for a spell like a good pale ale or IPA would. A refreshing switch-up for a malty lager!

In other words, I like it!



No comments: